by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

» Wind solutions
by Cuckoo Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 am

What type of cloth nappies do you use?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What type of cloth nappies do you use?

Post  Admin on Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:47 am

What type of cloth nappies do you use? And how convenient do you find them? Discuss here.
Admin
Admin

http://milkymums.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: What type of cloth nappies do you use?

Post  Emma on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:33 pm

I use terries and find them very convenient. If they wear well I won't have to buy any more as they can be folded differently according to the size of the baby. That was a contributing factor when I bought them as most of the pre-folded ones can be grown out of and bigger ones would need to be bought. I will however have to buy bigger wraps every so often, but have managed with only 4 so far. Also, they dry very quickly, even just hung in my cold kitchen. They are not any more time-consuming than using disposables. I spend about 10 or 15 minutes every couple of days putting them in the washing machine and hanging them out to dry. Easy!
Emma
Breastfeeding Peer Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  queen caggy on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:02 am

I use motherease one size and i LOVE them.

I have the ones with poppers.

I wish id used them with my elder 2 kids but never mind-will just have to have more babies later on LOL.
queen caggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:12 am

Are the motherease ones the ones with poppers on both sides and you can fold them?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  queen caggy on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:23 pm

they have poppers and the front folds down so you can make them small for newborns. my baby was 3wks old when we started to use them, He was born 6lb12oz so we felt he was a tad small-all nappy no baby LOL!

they are meant to be from birth to potty and so far i can see that being true. Only time ive needed dispos is when he was 6wks old and admitted to hossie for 1 week as it was impossible to keep up with the laundry so DH got me some cheap dispos and TBH i hated them. He got terrible nappy rash (not helped by the antibiotics and the fact he was actually really ill!) it took ages to clear up but once back into full time cloth he was ok again.

I have a fleece liner (brought fleece blankets from charity shop) that i cut to size that go next to babies bottom. Then the Motherease, then the outer Wrap (also with poppers but you can get a type of velcro fastenings).

For nights we put a folded up flannel in between the fleece and the nappy to soak up extra wee (also far cheaper than the boosters). We also pop a booster pad on the outside of the nappy-between the nappy and the wrap.
This takes us thro 12hrs unless he poos!
If we was to do a long car journey i would pop a booster on the outside of the nappy just to help absorb more wee but we havent had to do this yet!

I wash every 2nd day usually and dry pale. When possible I flush the poos down the loo-easier now they are more solid poos now baby is on solid foods!

Hope this has helped.
queen caggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:27 pm

I have a couple of those ones and I do find them very good. Only thing is I found when she was tiny the poppers would press against her skin even if they were loose. They seem a lot better now she is bigger.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  queen caggy on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:29 pm

follow this link-see if this helps. this is what i used to show me how to fix them so they didnt chaffe etc. Mind you ive not noticed they rub-unless i am needing to allow more room-or make them bigger.

http://www.mother-ease.com/cloth-diapers/How%20to%20adjust
queen caggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:42 pm

I'm thinking of trying the Motherease nappies. I use the Motherease wraps (the velcro fastening ones) with the terries and am just about ready to buy the next size up so might get a couple of the nappies aswell.
I've already mentioned to Jade, but I use the naturalnursery.co.uk website and if you place an order and quote "friend" you'll get a 10% discount!
Also, if you need to use disposables again the Nature Babycare ones are really good. I sometimes use them for days out if Lucinda has a poo due!
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:47 pm

I use the nature babycare ones too Emma. Although I very rarely use the disposables I alway have a supply of them and they're great, I think they are better than the papmers and huggies ones, (I have no idea why they're top brands, I think they're rubbish, I found the boots ones better when I had ED). NAture babycare ones are the same price too, and if you go to www.naty.com and sign up to become an ambassador for them you get sent a free £6 voucher.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  queen caggy on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:55 pm

isnt it funny how we are all different, it was the boots ones that really hurt my boys bum!
never had nappy rash with my other 2 when they was in dispos and we used asda or tesco own brand nappies then.

I use a local group to me and i go to a Nappuchino once a month too. Part of being eco friendly is not having them shipped from too far away i spose so i use Green Jelly for all my advice however my nappies are preloved and some are preowned but unused until i got my hands on them so thats even more recycling etc LOL!
queen caggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Cool. I'll do that!
Only time Lu has had Pampers on was in the hospital. They're crap! She had two poos and they both leaked. I'll never buy them.
I've found that the Nature Babycare ones have been slightly cheaper than Huggies and Pampers - and tend to be on offer more. I recommend them to all my disposable using friends. Infact, I gave a load of size 1 ones, that Lu has grown out of, to someone, so maybe I have made a convert.
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:17 pm

QC what is the Nappachino like that you go to. I really want be a nappachino host but I find the only ones that I have found tend to be about one brand only which makes it more about advertising in my view. I want to do ones where I offer allsorts.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  queen caggy on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:36 pm

Its great, she brings along samples and will chat to see what suits you. ive been lent various diff ones to try. i LOVE one type but its a sized one so works out expensive as bubs grows.

u could come along if u lived closer. she is trying to get me excited about patterns, cos i got boys who dont wear skirts i go for white n plain u see!
queen caggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Sounds good, I'll have to look into it.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Claire on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:23 am

Lily has had a few different cloth nappies - Diddy Diapers (free from the council), Mothercare Smart Nappies, Kooshies, Tots Bots and standard terries so far. We've also used various wraps too - Bambino Mio, Nature Babies and Tots Bots.

By far the best we've used have been Tots Bots, both nappies and wraps. They're lovely and soft and fluffy, a good fit and super-absorbant. They rarely leak, only when Lily does one of those explosive poos babies do from time to time, and if she's slept late and has been wearing it for over 12 hours. I'd definitely recommend them.

However I've just started making my own nappies out of old towels and they're great too! I'm going to see if I can sell them once I've properly got the hang of it and found somewhere to get good towelling from, maybe I'll make a bit of extra cash.

Claire

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:18 am

How do you make them Claire? I'm looking into making my own nappies.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Claire on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:43 pm

I started by figuring out how I would change the Tots Bots nappies to suit Lily's shape and size even more than they already do. Then I made a pattern out of paper and cut my old towel up following the pattern. I sewed an extra booster layer into the gusset and then sewed both halves of the nappy together (inside out), leaving a gap at the front. Then I elasticated the back and the legs, turned it the right way out through the gap I'd left and sewed it shut. Job done!

There are a few teething problems, such as the gusset is slightly too narrow, the towelling was a bit too thick and my elasticated legs don't match exactly, one is slightly baggier than the other. But it shouldn't take too many more practices to get it right and once I do then I'm going to start by making test nappies for people to try and they can tell me what they think of them. Once I've got the nappies right then I'll try making wraps, but they're more difficult as the material is harder to come by and not as easy to work with as it needs binding properly. I can always make fleece wraps but they're not so great for daytime so I'd rather use PUL.

Claire

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:50 am

I'll try some. Wink
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  Claire on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:56 am

You're on! I'll make the necessary adjustments and then I'll bring one to booby group for you. I've made Lily's slightly longer in the rise than the Tots Bots as she's quite a tall girl, would you like a standard length one for Lucinda?

Claire

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:23 am

Yes. Probably. Looking forward to seeing them!
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  queen caggy on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:33 pm

hey id try one too, im also part of a nappuchino. Green Jelly is the company. If your happy to make a business out of it i can pass on your product too.

I have a 7 month old boy but im not local im in essex-just down the road from the store i mentioned above.

Im full of usless info me! Its not what you know, its who you know, you know LOL! Very Happy
queen caggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Claire on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:00 am

Wow, that would be great! I'm going to try to make a business out of it as come September when my partner goes to Uni I will be the only wage earner in the house, and as I only work 14 hours a week I need another 2 hours work for us to qualify for Working Tax Credit.

Let me get the design ironed out then I'll send you a couple to try and if you like them we can discuss the details. Thanks so much!

Claire

Back to top Go down

Post  queen caggy on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:26 am

happy to help, just let me know when you need me.
Im also happy to advertise them at my breastfeeding support group.
queen caggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:50 am

Wow Claire! Looks like you're gonna be busy!
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  fleurthefrenchgirl on Wed May 06, 2009 5:00 am

I use the Bambino Mio ones, they were a bit too big at first and they would leak a lot but now that Reuben is a bit chubbier they are working fine. I use disposable eco nappies at night though as I tend not to change him so as not to wake him up too much and a reusable nappy would not do the trick at all, you have to change them as soon as they are wet or dirty. We got the birth to potty training set from my in laws around £175. We need to buy more covers are usually we use the reusable nappies for 2-3 days in a row and then we have no covers left and have to wash everything and it takes a wee while to dry but all in all we are not using many disposables. i am quite happy with them.
fleurthefrenchgirl

http://www.myspace.com/theworldaccordingtoreuben

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next