» Cost of a baby by 1 year.
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

» Wind solutions
by Cuckoo Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 am

When do you express?

Go down

When do you express?

Post  Trigby on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:39 pm

I was wondering when the best time to express was. I've been expressing in the morning after the first feed off the breast that hasn't been fed off, however Isabella is getting to the stage where she needs to feed from both breasts.

When do you all express in order to not run out by the end of the day (I know breast milk will produce as you need it but it feels by the end of the day there isn't much left)
Trigby

Back to top Go down

Re: When do you express?

Post  Admin on Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:44 pm

I know what you mean. I find the best time is when they so for the longest without a feed, i.e. at night time (although that may be hard if you go to bed the same time as them). Carla generally goes to bed at 7, and wakes up about 12 or 1 for a feed, so I will do it just after her last feed before she goes to bed as she only feeds from one and a little from the second. I would try to do it about halfway through if she takes all the milk from both. Best thing is to keep it up every day, even if sometimes you don't need it (it's a good idea to have a frozen supply, loads of uses for BM and would be good if you don't have time to express one day) so you can freeze it if there is a day when you don't need it. By doing it everyday your body will know it needs to produce milk at those times. It may be a bit tricky the first few days, but your body will soon get used to it. I think the key is to keep it up.
Admin
Admin

http://milkymums.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoz on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:08 am

i had to get a quick supply quick as i had to work last minute but i found i would feed from one side and express from the other at the same time first day only took 30mL so he could still feed from the second and each day just increased it by 10mL until i was feeding one side expressing 60mL from the other and still giving him at least 10 mins on the boob i'd expressed from

aside from that i express straight after i've put him in bed and again 2 hours later and i can usually get about 60-100mL at the 2 hour later one and i dont do it regularly just when i need to or feel my suplly is dropping.
Smoz

Back to top Go down

Expressing

Post  jillsherb on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:11 am

Hi smoz,You can express whenever it is best for you i somtimes express straight after a feed both breasts so they are empty or when i begin to feel full but i still alternate feeds from both breasts but ideally recommened expressing 6-8 times a day but as mums we would be at it all the time so just do it when it's best for you.Also freezing the expressed milk you don't use is great as there is allways uses as there getting older for baby rice and putting into solid foods.i sometimes express before a feed so that the milk there and body will keep making it as the baby suckles on you.Some days i express don't get much and some days i get loads so don't worry too much about just keep trying.Good luck keep us posted how you go on. Very Happy

Last edited by jillsherb on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a bit extra!!!)

jillsherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down