» Cost of a baby by 1 year.
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

» Wind solutions
by Cuckoo Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 am

Breastfeeding in Asda

Go down

Breastfeeding in Asda

Post  Cuckoo on Tue May 05, 2009 5:32 am

I cannot believe that for another 2 weeks I think, Asda are having a 'Baby & Toddler' event (I think that's what it's called) and they still don;t have the decency to have a proper changing room and where I can feed baby WITHOUT a toilet in sight. I just found the whole idea of feeding baby in the toilet revolting so I had to banish all thoughts of inhibitions and feed in the Asda restaurant.

I didn't see why I had to do that. I like these things to be done on my own and it's a wonder I dodn't get any funny looks from the diners there. I made a complaint and before they could fob me off with stories that tey are looking into it, I starkily reminded them that they have been saying this for the past 6 years when I had my son and was faced with the same dilemma. This is a massive Asda, so it's not like they have no space.

I am thinking of starting a petition as I am sure I am not the only one with this concern. I have seen a few women breatfeeding in the restaurant and that is all well and good but what about Muslim women who want to do this in the privacy of their own space or sharing with other mums like in Mothercare?

Rant over.
Cuckoo

Back to top Go down

Re: Breastfeeding in Asda

Post  Emma on Tue May 05, 2009 5:49 am

I'd sign the petition.
TBH I'm not too familiar with supermarket baby feeding facilities because Lu just eats where I do! The only one I've been in was when I nipped into a Tescos the other week to change her nappy and there was a chair in the corner of the room, so assumed that was for feeding. Didn't think it was up to much but don't have experience to compare it to anywhere else. Although it didn't have a toilet in there. I would be appalled if I was expected to feed her in the same room as a toilet. Suppose most of these places are designed by men though!
Emma
Breastfeeding Peer Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Claire on Tue May 05, 2009 9:24 am

I'd sign it too, though like Emma I tend to feed Lily anywhere and everywhere. But I understand it's not easy for everybody to do that and provision should be made for this.

I do think though that there's a wider issue here, about cultural acceptance of breastfeeding in public. If people were less judgemental then women wouldn't feel uncomfortable breastfeeding, hence solving the problem. But that's an entirely different debate!

Claire

Back to top Go down

On a plus note

Post  jillsherb on Tue May 05, 2009 10:49 am

Anyone shopping in Boots in Wakefield they have a fabulous baby room they even supply nappies etc i didn't feed in there just went in for a look it's lovely plenty of chairs so more than Mum can use it no toilet in sight only one changing unit though.

jillsherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma on Tue May 05, 2009 11:57 am

Sounds good. I'll know where to go to change her nappy should I need to while in town. Ta!
Emma
Breastfeeding Peer Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fleurthefrenchgirl on Wed May 06, 2009 4:34 am

I've never fed Reuben in public I am very self conscious, I feel my boobs are too big (always felt so and even worse now) the best I've done is in the car on a carpark. I feel there is nowhere for me to feed him. I went to the baby show the other day (very disapointing) they said there was a bf area but I could not see any I asked and it turned out to be the normal feeding area where people were feeding food and bottles to their babies. I was with my mother-in-law so I decided to leave early and feed him home. Our Boot or Mothercare don't have such facilities. The other day there was a woman bfeeding her baby in Starbucks you could hardly see any boob at all but me when I feed Reuben nearly my whole boob is out of my shirt and it's so big that even Reuben's head is not big enough to hide it.
fleurthefrenchgirl

http://www.myspace.com/theworldaccordingtoreuben

Back to top Go down

Feeding in public

Post  jillsherb on Thu May 07, 2009 12:21 am

I can totally relate to that my boobies are huge so what i did is get a poncho and put jake underneath it or just put a blanket over the top of him and my bosom if it makes you feel better because when there hungry there hungry i don't feed him much myself now he weaning but got to the point of if someone had a problem with my big boobies then there problem i'm only doing what nature intended so let them have the problem your doing absolutely nothing wrong good luck Very Happy Very Happy Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

jillsherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum