» Cost of a baby by 1 year.
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

» Wind solutions
by Cuckoo Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 am

Expressing for first time babies

Go down

Expressing for first time babies

Post  Admin on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:09 pm

Just a theory I have here but I'd like to hear of your experiences.

I could never express very well with my first child. I would hardly get anything at all. A lot of first time mums I know say the same thing. This time (for second child) I get loads, I pumped 6oz all at once one time, I used exactly the same breastpump.

I recently heard that second and subsequent times round, your milk ducts and glands are more produced because they develop during your first pregnancy. I wonder if this has an effect on pumping for first time mothers.

Did you have any problems pumping for your firstborn? And if you have more than one, was it easier second time round?
Admin
Admin

http://milkymums.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Expressing for first time babies

Post  Emma on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Sometimes I can express 5oz at one sitting, sometimes I struggle to pump 1oz. It doesn't seem to make any difference how full my boobs are either. Lucinda is my first baby.
My mum is surprised how much I do manage to pump though. She's had five babies, breastfed one of them for three and a half years, but never had much success with expressing. Your theory sounds like it could be true in some cases though.
Emma
Breastfeeding Peer Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Yes I know what you mean, it seems to be harder when you are more 'full'.
Admin
Admin

http://milkymums.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Trigby on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:09 am

I have really struggled with expressing and I'm a first time mum and breastfeeder. I initially used a hand pump and it could take me 2 days just to express a couple of ounces. A friend has since lent me an electric pump and the most I have managed to express is 4 oz in 15 mins. Still slow compared to some people I know but better than nothing. I think I have slow milk flow as it still takes me over an hour to do a full breastfeed whereas some mums in the groups I go to can give a full feed in 15 mins and can get a good 5oz+ in 5 mins no problem and some of these mums are also first timers.
Trigby

Back to top Go down

Post  laura_p on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:35 pm

I express sometimes, and although it can take 20+mins, I can get 8oz. Although afterwards I think that Im fairly empty cos if I feed afterwards I find I need to feed more often.

I use Medela electric pump, and its fantastic.
laura_p

Back to top Go down

Post  rockycat on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:25 am

It used to take me ages to express the tiniest amount with my first. I haven't tried it with my second yet, so I'll be interested to see. I used a hand pump with my first, but this time around my friend has lent me her electric one. Got to sort out which bottles fit it. I was thinking about trying to do it from tomorrow, when she's 6 weeks old, and taking milk to my mum's next weekend so she can help with night-time feeds if DD will take a bottle, but I can't get motivated!
rockycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down