Milky Mums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 98 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 am
Latest topics
» NEW FORUM IS READY
by Admin Fri May 08, 2009 6:32 am

» Baby Walker
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:14 am

» Dummies anyone?
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:09 am

» Cost of a baby by 1 year.
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

» Wind solutions
by Cuckoo Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 am

Got my certificate!

3 posters

Go down

Got my certificate! Empty Got my certificate!

Post  Emma Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:50 am

I've got my certificate for the peer supporter training this afternoon. Filled in a form so they can do a CRB check so I should hopefully be an official breastfeeding peer supporter quite soon!
Emma
Emma
Breastfeeding Peer Supporter

Back to top Go down

Got my certificate! Empty Re: Got my certificate!

Post  Admin Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:06 am

Congratulations Emma.

Can I ask, what is the difference between a peer supporter and a breastfeeding counselor?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://milkymums.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:23 am

Not sure. As far as I know, the job description of a peer supporter is either someone who is employed and is based on a maternity unit or at a childrens centre and helps new mums get established with breastfeeding and is available afterwards for help and advice if she has problems - mastitis etc, and even for weaning advice. Or a volunteer who is called upon if someone near them needs advice. I'll be a volunteer, but a local support group has my details for any future vacancies so I might be employed at some point in the future. So I don't know how a counsellor would differ from that. Maybe queen caggy will know??!
Emma
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:23 pm

It sounds simalar too a breastfeeding counsellor, although I know it takes over a year to qualfy as a BFing counsellor, how long did your training take Emma?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:39 pm

LOL - 10 weeks! So I probably don't know as much as a councellor!
Emma
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:48 pm

I do like the idea of a peer supporter though. Would definatley be useful to new mums with someone there for support. Thing is, there is so much support out there, but people are not always aware of it. A bit like me first time round, it would have gone so much better if I had had support.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:11 pm

The idea of the peer supporter in my area is that when new mums are home with their new baby, a peer supporter will call round, like the midwife does in the first few days, to discuss breastfeeding. It will be an opt out service so even if they don't intend breastfeeding a peer supporter will still go. It's basically to let the mums know that if they need any help or advice there's someone there that they know they'll be able to talk to. I think it's a really good idea because I know a couple of people who have tried to breastfeed and have given up after a few days, for one reason or another. If I'd have known then what I know now I'm sure I could have helped them and they'd still be breastfeeding now.
Emma
Emma

Back to top Go down

Got my certificate! Empty Breastfeeding

Post  jillsherb Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:29 am

Here here i assume you did the same course as me at Stanley Childrens Centre.There is not enough support for new mums and think if i had not got the support from my health visitor two week after having him i'd of given up.So think my knowledge now will help plenty of the boobie feeding mums. Laughing

jillsherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 am

Yes, it's Emma from Stanley! I'm so glad I did the course. It has been really useful for me and for knowing that I can now be useful to other people.
Emma
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  jillsherb Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:11 am

I wish i'd of known there was a breast feeding support group before the course as i probably wouldn't have had the mastisis if the midwife had of not told me i coudn't express till my milk was four week old and established.Where with doing the course would express whenever i felt i needed to.I think i've learnt will help lots of people.The support i had at first was terrible weren't till i saw my health visitor two week after i had him who was fantastic helped me greatly and told me about the the course and that my experience would be usefull.Again i think the little angels will be great as i was stitched badly and told not to go out for two week and saw lazy useless midwives apart from one they were different every time they came.Which the follow up should be by the one you've seen all the way through your pregnancy i think. Very Happy

jillsherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum