Milky Mums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 98 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 am
Latest topics
» NEW FORUM IS READY
by Admin Fri May 08, 2009 6:32 am

» Baby Walker
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:14 am

» Dummies anyone?
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:09 am

» Cost of a baby by 1 year.
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

» Wind solutions
by Cuckoo Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 am

Wind solutions

+4
queen caggy
Emma
Admin
rockycat
8 posters

Go down

Wind solutions Empty Wind solutions

Post  rockycat Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:19 am

Does anyone use anything such as Infacol or gripe water to help with wind? We've been using Infacol in the evenings, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Tried gripe water last night but had very limited success getting much in DS's mouth using either a spoon or syringe. On that note, do I need to sterilise the spoon or syringe?
rockycat
rockycat

Back to top Go down

Wind solutions Empty Re: Wind solutions

Post  Admin Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:37 am

I used infacol for a bit, but didn't notice much difference, but I think that was because Carla's windiness is very irregular, sometimes she is and sometimes not. But everyone else I know who's used it swears by it. Personally I think there is no substitute for keeping them upright as much as possible to help with wind, although I know that's hard especially if you have other children. A sling can help if you have one. Also propping the head of their mattress up, like you are advised when they have a cold can help.

As for sterilizing the spoon, I think you are supposed to up until 6 months. When I gave Carla calpol after her jabs, I kept forgetting about sterilizing, but I wasn't too worried. But I personally would with a syringe, just because of all the nooks and crannies that germs could get into which are hard to clean.

Hope that helps. xx
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://milkymums.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:02 am

Indecisive whether Infacol has helped but think that Gripe Water has. I give it in a little dosing cup. Not sure where it came from but it looks like it might have come with a bottle of medicine. Had no luck with a spoon either! As far as sterilising, I just wipe with a Milton wipe.
Emma
Emma
Breastfeeding Peer Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:28 am

That's a very good idea Emma, it does seem a bit pointless to sterilize one spoon, especially when BFing as you never really sterilize anything else.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rockycat Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 am

Yes, good thinking thanks. I've tried a dummy a couple of times in desperation, and I just boiled it in a saucepan for a couple of minutes, but it did seem like a waste of a lot of water and energy.
rockycat
rockycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Yes, I wipe dummies with Milton wipes aswell. Don't know how I'd live without them!
For the bigger things I sterilise, like breast pump and the odd bottle (that she won't have anymore!) I have a Lock&Lock box (like Tupperware) that I put 5 litres of water in and a Milton tablet. Then I just leave the breast pump and bottles in it and refresh the water every so often.
Emma
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  queen caggy Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:43 pm

I steam sterilise dummies but not overly, if they fall out on my floor i dont care but when outside (IE-shopping) cos you never know what someone else may have stepped in, then walked on that bit of floor i wont put it back in.
I have a pot i carry in my bag with a spare clean one in-if i have room in my handbag! LOL

As for wind INFACOL you have to use everyfeed for about 1week for it to be most effective ive found.

I use a syringe to give meds to baby-even now and i have sterlised them. Infacol has its own dropper thing that i never sterlised but it was only ever going to be used on the 1 child so i didnt see it mattered.

HTH.
queen caggy
queen caggy

Back to top Go down

Post  rockycat Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:24 am

I only sterilise the dummy because of how young she is (6 weeks today). She's only ever taken it briefly twice anyway, so it's been a waste of time!

The Infacol doesn't seem to have made much difference, but I've used the gripe water to evenings in a row now, and she's gone straight to sleep afterwards. I'm sure it's just coincidence, because she hasn't actually burped. Or could it be that the gripe water has helped with the pain? Either way, I'll be using it again tonight just in case LOL!
rockycat
rockycat

Back to top Go down

Wind solutions Empty wind

Post  jillsherb Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:47 am

I've tried infacol and gripe water but they don't do alot but there is something called Dentinox given with a syringe is ok but the best thing i found is you can get baby wheat sacks warm up in microwave and but on tummy,move him around or push him up and down like a see saw works a treat need no remedies.The best thing for teething is Nelsons Teether from Holland and Barrat or Boots little sachet of granules you pour on the tounge they dissolve and relax them homepathic so not harmfull to them too and can give them every two hrs i love it then when the teething gets worse use with baby calpol or baby nurofen works every time. Laughing

jillsherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:52 am

There are also some great baby massage moves to help with wind
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rockycat Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:58 am

Thanks for the great advice. Where can you get the wheat sacks?

I've been trying to do some baby massage moves from what I can remember doing with DS 4 years ago, but we haven't been able to do baby massage classes yet because DD still hasn't had her 6 week check. Apparently it won't be until mid-May at the earliest, by which time she'll be 10 weeks old Rolling Eyes
rockycat
rockycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:17 am

Wheat sacks do sound like a good idea. I've got a bear with a lavender wheat sack in it's tummy! I suppose I could use that, couldn't I?
Yes, I've also heard that Nelsons Teether is good.
Emma
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  jillsherb Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:00 am

There the wheat sacks i'm talking about there like polar bear with lavender great for getting them to sleep just don't over heat with them being young as they say you can't use them till there twelve month but my little man was bad at the beginning now we don't use anything BHS is where mine were from but sure good old mothercare have everything.But try the moving them about as sitting him on my knee with my hand on his back then letting him drop down like a see saw then rubbing his back worked a treat or layed on his belly over your knee with mouth hung over the end and give good pats on there back is good too. Very Happy

jillsherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylansmum Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:32 am

Hi

We found that they didn't work - walking up and down the stairs worked for us - or pretending to walk up and down the stairs... or putting him across our knee sometimes helped. He was so windy at first but I think it comes with the age - he's 9 months now and I rarely have to wind him anymore.

Dylansmum

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:01 am

Same here Roxanne. C is only 4 months but most of the wind comes up itself now.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jillsherb Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 am

I found with breast feeding that he did very few burps there was alot of bottom burps which is common with breast feeding Very Happy

jillsherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:40 am

Oh yes I know that one too well, and having to check whether it'#s a poo or a bottom burp. Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rockycat Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:02 am

Wow, I never knew that bottom burps were more common with breast-fed babies, just thought it was my farty children!
rockycat
rockycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:14 am

i thought she'd inherited it from DH .
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:48 am

Lucinda does plenty of both!
Emma
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylansmum Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Sorry forgot to answer your other questions - we never sterlised anything except the dummies (boiling water 5minutes) or breastpump same way as dummies. Once the little ones can pick up toys etc and put them in their own mouth you don't really need to sterlise anything unless it has milk in it! Dummies and things if he dropped them on the floor I just wipe clean with my mouth seems to do the trick but this was only past about 5 or 6 months.

We also have plenty of bottom burps and burps!!! Didn't realise it was common in breastfeeding babies - I just thought it was babies in general Razz

Dylansmum

Back to top Go down

Post  jillsherb Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:33 am

So sounds like we've all got breast fed farty babies cause Jakey never really burped that much i was worried that i wasn't getting his wind up and my health vistor asked me about the bottom burps which i thought was strange and said he does loads she said it usually comes from that end when breast fed. Very Happy

jillsherb

Back to top Go down

Post  fleurthefrenchgirl Fri May 01, 2009 3:47 am

I got this from the Health Visitor and it works very well it is an homeopatic remedy : colocynth granules 30 c. Ask your doctor.
fleurthefrenchgirl
fleurthefrenchgirl

http://www.myspace.com/theworldaccordingtoreuben

Back to top Go down

Post  Cuckoo Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 am

jillsherb wrote:I found with breast feeding that he did very few burps there was alot of bottom burps which is common with breast feeding Very Happy

That is very true Jill. I found that Eliza farts a lot during feeds and she is exclusively breastfed! For wind, I use dentinox. It's a bit fiddly as it's so thick and difficult to squeeze out through the syringe but it seems to have done the trick when baby had colic about 2 weeks ago. Regular applications makes it affective. Also with my other babies who were combined fed, I used to brew some fennel seeds, cool it and give that for colic. They had it really bad but with current baby it's not so bad.
Cuckoo
Cuckoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum