Milky Mums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 98 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:37 am
Latest topics
» NEW FORUM IS READY
by Admin Fri May 08, 2009 6:32 am

» Baby Walker
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:14 am

» Dummies anyone?
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:09 am

» Cost of a baby by 1 year.
by Emma Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

» Wind solutions
by Cuckoo Thu May 07, 2009 5:21 am

Breast milk donations

3 posters

Go down

Breast milk donations Empty Breast milk donations

Post  fleurthefrenchgirl Tue May 05, 2009 2:55 am

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else ever donated breast milk?
I registered to donate breastmilk and sent a form to the hospital. I was supposed to be contacted to have a blood sample taken just to be sure I had no hidden illness or infection but they never contacted me again. I thought they were desperate for breast milk for premature babies and I really want to help but ever since I decided to donate milk I had to nearly jump through hoops.
I am sending them an email today to ask about it. I thought they would be glad and hurry up to do all this to get the milk. It's been a month now since I first contacted them.
Also here in Glasgow they don't collect the milk you have to go to the hospital in less than 1 hour and deliver the frozen milk yourself. I am telling you taking the subway and walking to the hospital with the pram and a 3 month old baby is not an easy thing but I am willing to do it so they could do their part.
fleurthefrenchgirl
fleurthefrenchgirl

http://www.myspace.com/theworldaccordingtoreuben

Back to top Go down

Breast milk donations Empty Re: Breast milk donations

Post  Emma Tue May 05, 2009 4:35 am

I'd phone them and ask them what's going on. In my experience (I've written a bit on here somewhere about Lucinda's physio referral) hospitals are hopeless with getting back to you etc! Ask to speak to someone in postnatal or special care maybe who should know something about milk donation??
Emma
Emma
Breastfeeding Peer Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fleurthefrenchgirl Tue May 05, 2009 4:49 am

Hi Emma,
I am in contact with the coordinator for milk donations!!! So if someone should know it should be her. I'll see if I get a reply to my email.
I wanted to ask you are they the retro baby banz on you're baby's picture? Are they any good? I wantd to buy a pair for Reuben. Would they fit he is only 13 weeks old? Shocked
fleurthefrenchgirl
fleurthefrenchgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Tue May 05, 2009 5:07 am

They're not Baby Banz but they are very similar. They are the Foster Grant version called FG Baby! Yes, they're brilliant, they have all the UV protection and they fit around the head with a velcro strap so should fit Reuben's head. They're very useful for when they're in the pushchair or car seat when it's sunny. Lucinda hates the sun being in her eyes. I got them from Sainsbury's Savacentre for £4.99. They were in the pharmacy section, rather than children's clothes.
Emma
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  Claire Tue May 05, 2009 9:33 am

I inquired last week about milk donating but I don't think I'm going to do it. I can only donate for another month until Lily is 6 months (I had read you only had to start donating before 6 months, not that you had to stop at 6 months.) and I have to take the milk over 20 miles to the hospital as they don't collect it. After I've done the blood tests and had the results back there's not going to be any time to get a decent amount of milk together and 20 miles is a long way to travel just for a few ounces.

I'm quite disappointed as I was hoping to become a regular donor. I'll just have to do it with the next baby.

Claire

Back to top Go down

Post  fleurthefrenchgirl Tue May 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Yes sometimes you want to do your part but there is a limit to what you can do and in those cases they should organise themselves to make it easier for the ones who do want to help.
I have good news though, I got a phone call today, someoe else took over the department and found my details in a folder. (good organisation!) Well long story short she is coming on Thursday to collect a blood sample and bring me some bottles. I am so happy and I am looking forward to starting donating.
fleurthefrenchgirl
fleurthefrenchgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Emma Wed May 06, 2009 12:56 am

Just as I said - hospitals are hopeless! Rolling Eyes

That's daft about not wanting your milk because your baby is over 6 months old. Surely there are older breastfed babies in hospital whose parents would be grateful of some breast milk for them??
Emma
Emma

Back to top Go down

Post  fleurthefrenchgirl Wed May 06, 2009 5:08 am

Maybe there is a use-by-date on boobies???
fleurthefrenchgirl
fleurthefrenchgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum